Friday 20 November 2015

The making of Mightywheels.

Long ago in the 1980s, I was a big time adrenalin junkie, who rode a little BMX bicycle. My friends and I raced around town calling ourselves “The Mightywheels Team”. We all had little kid dreams of moving to Vancouver and being bicycle couriers. That never happened, I got in my accident and the team fell apart. Later on in my life, when I recovered from my injury, I was placed in a wheelchair and saw that the accessibility for a person who used wheels was very poor in my city. I wanted to do something. When I lived in Kamloops B.C I walked across a really high tech bridge that was new but was not accessible for people who used wheels. I had a friend carry my chair across the other side. I crossed the bridge proving that people who used wheels would need to safely cross the bridge. The idea of Mightywheels bloomed from there. In time I moved to Edmonton where I officially formed the Mightywheels team. I started a blog to spread the word. Later a friend taught me how to link my blog to Facebook, Twitter and Tumbler to get better exposure. I started a Pinterest page connected to my blog showing good and bad surface areas to plan out a map to safely navigate our city. I’m sure in the future my blog will have a virtual map of the whole city that speaks to you and tells you where the bad surface areas are.

No comments:

Post a Comment